What was the real reason why the spies discouraged the nation from going up to the Promised Land? Was it simply a lack of faith, or was there more to the story?
Societies have often equated age with wisdom. But does age endow one with wisdom?
The Dead Sea Scrolls provide us with an invaluable window into the Judaism of the latter Second Temple Period. This is the Judaism from which modern Judaism and Christianity were born.
- Lecture 1 (Introduction)
- Lecture 2 (Scandal and Publication)
- Lecture 3 (The Manual of Discipline)
- Lecture 4 (Historical Backdrop)
- Lecture 5 (Sects of the Second Temple)
- Lecture 6 (The Qumran Site)
- Lecture 7 (The Rabbinic System)
- Lecture 8 (The Cairo Geniza)
- Lecture 9 (Pesher Texts)
- Lecture 10 (The War Scroll)
- Lecture 11 (Qumran Manuscripts)
- Lecture 12 (Vision for a New Temple)
- Lecture 13 (Daily Life)
- Lecture 14 (The Halachic Letter)
- Lecture 15 (The Qumran Biblical Canon)
- Lecture 16 (The Calendar)
- Lecture 17 (Qumran Ritual)
- Lecture 18 (Prayer)
- Lecture 19 (The Politics of Qumran Hebrew)
-Lecture 20 (The Copper Scroll)
It's our obligation to support Israel. Here is how we can. See the two Call to Action letters below to help.
How do a people build a successful state? It starts with the individual.
Last week's tragedy at Mt. Meron on Lag B'Omer was the worst peacetime disaster Israel has ever experienced.
The blasphemer: Who was at fault, the individual or the community?
Why is religion particularly important in a free society?
Lashon Hara (speaking negatively of others) is considered a grave offense. Under what, if any, circumstances can one share negative information about another?
The Declaration of Independence uses language that echoes the biblical concept of Betzelem Elokim (created in the image of God). How can the concept of Betzelem Elokim help heal our world?
Rabbi Steven Saks
Enjoy these sermons from Rabbi Steven Saks.